Monday, July 31, 2006

Last of Potatoes Dug

Dug the last of the potatoes this weekend. All the foliage from the Yukon Golds had died back, so it seemed like time to dig them up. I dug the first row by hand with a pitch fork, just like I did all three rows of the Red Nordlands. Being that it was incredibly hot this weekend I needed to find a better way if was going to get them all done. Decided to try out the potato plow which I used to plow the trenches that the potatoes were planted in. I was originally concerned that the plow would damage the potatoes, hence the hand digging. I was surprised by how well the plow worked. It popped up most of the potatoes and completely loosened the ground so the rest were easy to uncover with my bare hands. Chalk this one up to being new to farming. From now on I will be plowing up the potatoes except for the times when I just want to grab a couple new potatoes out of the field.

No comments: