Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Cleaning Up My Deer Problem

As mentioned numerous times on this blog, the local deer population really enjoys my corn crop. While I have started to get some corn from my first planting the size of the plants and consequently the size of the corn is quite small due to all the deer damage. Having finally gotten tired of it, and spurred on by the visit last weekend of an interested party (who supplied the Irish Spring) last night I assembled a soap barrier around my corn field. I sliced the soap into pieces, affixed them to bamboo stakes with zip ties and placed them approx. 10-15 feet apart in a perimeter around the corn field. While I am resigned to the fact that this will do little to help the first planting, I am hopeful that the latter corn plantings may do better if the soap reduces the deer grazing.

No comments: