Monday, July 17, 2006

Shortest Corn in the East!

No this is not some new dwarf corn variety. This white super sweet planted on May 7th should be 6 to 7 feet tall, but the deer have done a good job of stunting its growth. While never reaching full height it has started to silk out and form cobs. I guess we will just have to wait and see if we get any edible corn out of this first planting.

The second planting which went in on June 4th is doing noticeably better. It is already as tall as the first planting while being four weeks behind. My neighbors corn, not more than 100 yds away is tall and almost untouched by the deer. I talked with them this weekend and plan on picking up some Irish Spring soap to hang from posts around the outside of the corn field since it has seemed to work for them. Hopefully this will keep the deer browseing down to a minimum and allow the second and third planting to do better. Next year I will have the electric fence setup which will hopefully alleviate the deer problem.

1 comment:

Madeline Rains said...

We just heard of two additional methods - One is from the University of Maryland - make a mixture that is one part milk to four parts water adn spray it on the plants. 2nd one - spread hair around... I can't imagine having enough. I cut my kids' hair but still... Hope the soap work for you.