Monday, May 14, 2007

Mobile Chicken Coop

I mentioned a couple weeks ago that I was converting an old trailer into a mobile chicken coop. We got the trailer from my neighbor and after stripping off some things we didn't need it formed a strong platform to build the coop. I did a simple lean to design with a large nesting box on one end and roosts in the middle. The bottom is diamond metal mesh so hopefully most of the chicken droppings will fall through. The bottom is secured with hardware cloth to keep out any predators and to allow a lot of ventilation. I used metal roofing and a single plastic panel to afford the chickens some natural light. There are large doors at both ends and a small chicken door which is left open during the day.

I set the mobile coop in the barn yard Saturday afternoon and locked all the chickens out of their old coop. Danielle and I came back out Saturday night and transfered all the chickens into their new home.

Sunday morning we moved the coop out onto our pasture and setup a perimeter of electric netting. The chickens happily came out to explore their new digs and seemed pleased to have some fresh grass to feast on. I am happy to say that when we went out Sunday evening to close them up all but one of the chickens had found their way into the coop. They also had no problem finding the nesting box and provided us with 19 fresh eggs.

11 comments:

Sara said...

What a fabulous chicken coop and on wheels too. I want one!
Sara from farmingfriends in the UK

Kush said...

Thanks! This should make it easy to move them around the pasture so that they always get fresh grass and distribute their "fertilizer" evenly.

Silvia said...

Great idea! How's it been working?

Kush said...

The mobile coop worked out great. It enabled us to have the chickens out on pasture for more than half the year. We just moved the chickens back into the winter coop last weekend.

Anonymous said...

Hello

My name is Jim Dorchak. I live in Greer South Carolina, Could You email me I would love to talk to you about how you built this since I have had the same idea, and wanted to make sure I did not make any mistakes.

jim@sccompass.com
864 921-0009

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just came across your blog as I was searching for images of mobile chicken coops. I love your photos, and wondered if you would consider allowing one to be used in a non-profit publication about meat CSAs. Please email me at kstillerman@ucsusa.org. Thanks.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

very useful article. I would love to follow you on twitter.

Anonymous said...

Hi, can you post photos of your electric fencing? What kind did you get? Is it portable so you can move it easy to the next grassy spot? I'm dying to try this. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Just caught your Blog. Nice Mobile Chicken Coop. With the angle of your shelter, a couple of solar panels in lieu of a metal roof panel would be great for electric fencing or 12v dc light when locking up the coop for the night. Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I was wondering if the wire mesh on the floor really allows the manure to fall through. Have you had trouble keeping it clean? You can email me at ellie.kane@gmail.com. Thanks!